100 years ago
July 8, 1922: Two hundred members of the North Danvers Mennonite Church and Congregation attended the reception for the new pastor, Rev. WB Weaver, held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. FE Risser, North Danvers. A program was given consisting of a vocal selection, a female duo and a male quartet, and a number of short lectures by members of the congregation.
75 years ago
July 8, 1947: The completion date for the Illinois Wesleyan University Memorial Center under construction at University and East streets has been moved from Aug. 1 to Sept. 1, President Merrill J. Holmes said. Plastering, floor glazing and carpentry remain in the construction of the $375,000 structure, which is in honor of all the Wesleyan men and women who served in World War II.
July 8, 1972: Residents of LeRoy are getting used to disposing of garbage without burning it. The city council passed an ordinance regulating burning and open fires within the city limits. Open burning, open burning recovery operations and burning in chambers not designed for this purpose are now prohibited. Violators risk fines between $25 and $50.
25 years ago
July 8, 1997: Eleven Twin City motorists were charged with impaired driving over the July 4 holiday weekend, which kicked off the state’s tougher drunk driving law. One of eight arrests at Normal involved a driver with a blood alcohol level of 0.09%, which could make her the first local person charged under Illinois’ new standard of 0.08% .
Compiled by Pantagraph Staff