6 people hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak in a church storefront

0

At approximately 12:40 p.m. Sunday, Evanston firefighters responded to the 1800 block of Church Street for the report of an unconscious infant to the Mount Pisgah Ministry.

The Evanston Fire Department said the first companies to arrive responded within minutes, detecting carbon monoxide (CO) levels above 500 parts per million in the structure. A total of 11 patients required medical attention and were treated on site, according to a press release from the firefighters. Six patients were transported to area hospitals and five patients were refused transport, according to the press release. All patients transported were in stable condition, the statement said.

Evanston firefighters responded to the 1800 block of Church Street on Sunday and detected a carbon monoxide leak at the Mount Pisgah ministry. (Photo by Town of Evanston)

Initial reports indicate the source of the CO leak is from the furnace, the fire department said. Further investigation is being conducted by Nicor ​​to rule out other sources of carbon monoxide, according to the press release.

A second level ambulance box alarm was called to bring seven more ambulances to Evanston, the press release said. Additional equipment and personnel from neighboring municipalities helped provide coverage at the Town of Evanston station and help Evanston Fire Department staff treat and transport patients, the statement said.

As the cold season approaches, the Evanston Fire Department is reminding community members to have their heating units serviced and to make sure their carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are working properly.

For more information, please call or text 847-448-4311. For convenience, residents can dial 311 in Evanston.

Source: Evanston Fire Department

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.