BEMUS POIT — A fire believed to have been started by a man inside a shed to keep warm quickly spread, destroying supplies used by a local church for mission trips.
Bemus Point and Ashville firefighters were called around 7 a.m. to St. Timothy’s Lutheran Church, located at 3748 Route 430 in the town of Ellery. A fire official arrived and reported a shed “completely swallowed up” with flames and threatening another nearby structure.
Photographs released by the Bemus Point Fire Department showed the shed consumed by fire and later its remains.
The fire was quickly extinguished, preventing the flames from reaching the nearby structure.
In a Facebook post, the Bemus Point Fire Department said a man admitted to starting a small fire inside the shed to keep warm. within minutes the fire had spread to the contents.
St. Timothy reportedly used the shed to store supplies for his missions in Honduras.
The man remained at the scene and was turned over to Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Deputies, firefighters said. No charges or other information has been announced by the sheriff’s office at press time.