Church conversions tend towards the spectacular, but this Wiltshire home reaches new heights.
The former Grade II listed Church of St John the Evangelist dates from 1896 and was built on a leafy hill outside Ford by architect CE Ponting. From the outside, it still looks like a church, built of local honey-colored stone and crowned by a spiral of shingles that rises atop a tower.
Inside, however, the church has been transformed into a three-bedroom house with the slightest of interventions, meaning all of its religious signs are intact. High ceilings preserve the sense of wonder, while the chancel has been transformed into a kitchen. (Washing the dishes doesn’t seem like such a chore when standing in front of the stained glass window of Edward Burne-Jones, a friend and collaborator of William Morris.)
No less spectacular is the barrel-vaulted ceiling, which is original to the Victorian building. The current owners have tucked away a cozy studio at one end of it.
The bedrooms exit from the hallway and there is a gym/studio which has access to the blower, with a working church bell.
Inigo is marketing the three-bedroom property in Wiltshire for £1.2million. Take a look in the gallery above.