“This morning, our firefighters responded to a structural fire on the Church Street extension.
At approximately 8:36 a.m. on December 20, the Mattapoisett Fire Department was dispatched to 3 Church Street Extension with a reported structure fire.
Fire Chief Murray arrived at the scene at 8:38 a.m. and reported a massive fire and smoke billowing from the structure. Engine 1 also arrived at 0838 and began fire extinguishing activities.
At that time, a 2nd alarm assignment was requested at the scene, bringing a total of 3 Mattapoisett engines, 1 Marion engine, 1 engine and 1 Fairhaven scale. Rochester Fire responded to the Mattapoisett Fire Station with an engine for station cover.
Upon arrival, there was a heavy fire coming from the garage, the walkway and the back of the structure. The property is mixed use comprising commercial and residential units. The business unit was used as an engine repair garage. The unoccupied living unit at the time of the fire, however, was the residence of a father and his two young children.
The fire seems to have started in the garage, near a radiator. There were also fuels, oils and other flammable materials which made it difficult to extinguish.
A repair shop worker saw his clothes catch fire and used the “stop, drop and roll” method to successfully extinguish the fire on his clothes. He was evacuated on site and required no further treatment.
The fire was brought out in about 50 minutes with 22 firefighters. No injuries were reported. Fire and smoke damage was estimated at $ 300,000. The Red Cross was called to help the adult and the 2 children who resided in the residential unit.
The last fire department cleaned the scene at 12:50 p.m.
All photos courtesy of Ed Pepin and Tim Smith. -The Mattapoisett Fire Department.