St. Paul Lutheran Celebrates 100 Years of Dedication to the Church | New

0

Over 150 years ago, the first settlers started a congregation, but St. Paul’s Lutheran Church would not be officially built until 1867-1868. The third and final structure was completed in 1922. In recognition of the church’s 100-year history, current parishioners gathered for a celebration on July 10.

They participated in a worship service, a catered dinner, and a concert by members of the Sioux Falls-based Master’s Voice Quartet. A history of the church was presented by David Johnson, the church archivist. Below is part of his presentation (edited for space).

As the congregation was organized on August 12, 1863, the first settlers/members initially met in homes with itinerant pastors and missionaries who led the service. After the site of a church and cemetery had been selected, construction of a simple, egalitarian log structure with very little exterior ornamentation began in 1867. The first service was held in the new church in mid -May 1868. Although there are no official records of the size of the structure, a contemporary drawing shows the single room structure, which appears to measure approximately 25 by 30 feet. The building served as the home of the congregation for several years.

See the full story in this week’s Leader-Courier.

Over 150 years ago, the first settlers started a congregation, but St. Paul’s Lutheran Church would not be officially built until 1867-1868. The third and final structure was completed in 1922. In recognition of the church’s 100-year history, current parishioners gathered for a celebration on July 10.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.